Thursday, October 25, 2012

Nightmare Continues

Once my plane landed in LA, Kora and I had to go through immigration and customs where they processed Kora's adoption paperwork, and she became an official US citizen.  We had over 4 hours for a lay-over this time.  My next flight to Minneapolis left around 12:45 am Pacific time.  There was no extra room on this flight.  It was full, and I had a window seat with everyone trying to sleep next to me.  Luckily, Kora slept for all but an hour of this flight.  I wasn't able to sleep holding her. 

Well, all this time that I have been making my way home, Jesse and the kids had made it to Vancouver and then flew to Denver.  Wouldn't you know it, a snow storm hit Denver ahead of schedule and there were not enough deicing crews available to keep the flights going.  They were snowed-in  at Denver and stayed the night in the airport.  So instead of them getting home on Wednesday night at 11pm, they weren't even able to fly out of Denver until 12:40 on Thursday. 

Kora and I made it to Grand Forks at 10:30 on Thursday morning.  What did we do then?  Sat in the airport for another 6 hours waiting for Jesse and the kids to get there, because Jesse had the keys to our trailblazer.  They got in around 3:40pm and were we happy to get out of the airport.

So we spent around 42 hours in airports and on airlines, getting home 17 hours later than expected, with Jesse and I getting only a few hours sleep.  I now know what sleep deprivation feels like and it is not pleasant.  But thank God, we all made it home safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment